Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Destiny Gaming

From: Mally Mclane <mally.mclane () BRISTOL AC UK>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2014 15:36:25 +0100

Hi Dennis

Here's our FAQ on it:
http://www.bristol.ac.uk/it-services/resnet/help/faq.html#games

I'm not networks, but I'd be surprised if we opened all those ports that
Destiny requires.

Mally

On 11 September 2014 15:32, Self, Dennis <dlself () samford edu> wrote:

 A student has requested the opening of a large number of firewall ports
(thousands) as referenced at the vendor site:
http://www.bungie.net/en/Help/Article/11875.  We do not plan to open the
ports.  I have never played the game.  The request raises concerns that the
application has security design issues, and the company has brazen
attitudes towards security in stating the ports should be opened.  Has
anyone else dealt with this and developed an objective rationale?

 Kind regards,

  Dennis Self, CISSP
Director, IT Security & Compliance
Technology Services

 205-726-2692 | office
 DLSelf () Samford edu
 www.samford.edu
 800 Lakeshore Drive, Birmingham, AL 35229
<http://maps.google.com/maps?q=800+Lakeshore+Drive,+Birmingham,+AL+35229,+US>
 [image: Samford University Logo]

  ”Truth is not democratic.” Dennis Self, 2013

--
Mally Mclane
Communication and Collaboration Services Manager