Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: AV and Malwarebytes together?

From: "Keller, Alex" <axkeller () STANFORD EDU>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2014 01:22:37 +0000

While dated, my 2012 post on this subject to another .edu list may be of peripheral interest....

"Regarding Malware Removal:

A colleague brought to my attention that one of the more popular tools, the free version of Malwarebytes
(http://www.malwarebytes.org), may NOT be legally used by a technician in an educational setting. I read over the EULA
and disappointedly confirmed with their support team "The Free version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware is designed to be
for home/personal use, and is not intended to be used in a business as well as educational, government, or non-profit
environments. Proper licensing in these environments would be our Corporate license." Furthermore, a previously offered
Malwarebytes Technician's license is no longer available: "Our Technician's License has been phased out of our product
lineup and is no longer available for purchase. Our licenses are not designed for 'install-clean-uninstall' purposes,
but rather to remain resident on the computer it is protecting."

All is not lost, SUPERAntiSpyware is a formidable scanner (in spite of the name) and I received this response from
their support staff "You can use the Free Edition (in an Educational setting) as long as you leave it installed on the
system you used it on.":

http://www.superantispyware.com

Combofix. Powerful malware removal engine, use with caution:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix

RKill. Will attempt to kill known malicious processes, so you can get to work repairing:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/anti-virus/rkill

ThreatKiller. Easy to use scripting environment for creating malware removal scripts:

http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/remove-any-malware-with-the-power-of-custom-scripts/

ThreatExpert. Submit suspect Windows binaries and you are emailed a report with everything the malware attempts to do
(which can inform your next steps for disinfection):

http://www.threatexpert.com/filescan.aspx

VirusTotal. Submit suspect Windows binaries and see if the most popular anti-virus engines detect a threat (and what
they identify it as):

http://www.virustotal.com/";

Alex Keller

Information Technology