Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Electronic Transfer of PII

From: "Pardonek, Jim" <jpardonek () LUC EDU>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2014 18:58:31 +0000

Our HR Dept. is in the process of putting in a workflow that will allow for managers to use a Multi-Function Device to
scan and transfer new employee information, such as w9 and direct deposit, directly into our document management system
DocFinity.  The proposed workflow would have the MFD send the scanned output to a designated email account in our
exchange environment which will then be picked up and deleted by a process on the DocFinity server.  I started to push
back because of the inherent insecurity of sending PII over email.  I'm looking for information to see if any other
schools are doing a similar workflow and what you might have in place to either not use email or to make it more secure.

Thanks,

Jim

James Pardonek, MS, CISSP, CEH
Information Security Officer
Loyola University Chicago
1032 W. Sheridan Road | Chicago, IL  60660

*: (773) 508-6086