Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Eduroam and Student Usage

From: Bill Kyle <bill.kyle () JHU EDU>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2014 08:51:14 -0400

Jim,

At Johns Hopkins we allow everyone to use eduroam. If you log in with Hopkins’ credentials you are given an address in
the Hopkins’ enterprise eduroam wireless network and are placed on out intranet. There we restrict access via our
internal firewalls. Our Internet firewall allows the minimum ports in the eduroam specification. If you log into
eduroam with non-Hopkins credentials you are given an address in our eduroam guest network. There the guest eduroam
user has access to the Internet via our Guest firewall using the same policy of the minimum ports in the eduroam
specification.

Sincerely,
Bill Kyle
Network Security Engineer III
Johns Hopkins Network Security
Johns Hopkins University and Medical Institutions