Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Compromised accounts at other institutes

From: Frank Barton <bartonf () HUSSON EDU>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2014 12:24:18 -0400

We are seeing a massive increase in the number of spear-phishing attempts
being directed at our users. Many of these are coming from compromised
accounts at other universities. The couple of folks that we have had fall
for these phishing attempts seem to have their accounts used to send
further spear-phishing attempts to yet more universities.

Aside from the obvious account security steps to take when we detect a
compromised account on our system, what steps (if any) are others taking
when you get messages that are symptomatic of compromised accounts at other
universities?

Thank You

--
Frank Barton