Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Password change *recommended* -- RESULTS?

From: Ben Marsden <bmarsden () SMITH EDU>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2014 18:01:05 -0500

Hi all,  First, the direct answer to the question : I sent a mass email
recommending a pwd change at 3:39pm on Friday (later than I'd hoped,
another story).  Between then and midnight Monday - which I think is a good
window for direct response to this message -- we had 674 people change
their passwords, or roughly 15% of the total user population. I think
that's a decent number...

On the more general questions raised since :  we recently changed our
password policy to require more secure passwords (we're now at 14 character
minimum, the stick), but we no long expire them (the carrot).  As part of
this change, we tried hard to drive home two key awareness responsibilities
to our users : () do NOT share your account access with anyone -- including
your parents,  and () do NOT use your Smith password for *any other*
account you may have.   Non-expiring pwds is a risk trade-off, along with
many factors, but in general, I'm OK with this policy.

So, yes, I now take moments like this to actively remind people to
voluntarily change their passwords.

And yes, I'd love to move away from passwords as the sole guardian to user
identity authentication, especially as we expand the use of SSO and
cloud-based services...

hope this helps,

-- Ben

Ben Marsden : Information Security Director, CISSP/GISP
ITS, Stoddard Hall, Smith College, Northampton, MA 01063
bmarsden [at] smith [.] edu     413 [.] 585 [.] 4479
=--> Any request to reveal your Smith password via email is fraudulent!

On Wed, Apr 16, 2014 at 8:03 AM, Pedersen, Krystal <