Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

HEISC Strategic Priorities Update: March 2014

From: Valerie Vogel <vvogel () EDUCAUSE EDU>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2014 19:21:02 +0000

I would like to share the following message on behalf of the HEISC co-chairs. (Apologies for the cross-posting if you
are also subscribed to the CIO list.)
Thank you,
Valerie

=======================

Dear Colleagues,

As we shared in a previous e-mail, the 2014 Higher Education Information Security Council (HEISC) Strategic Priorities
include: Strengthening Foundations, Continuing to Build the Information Security Profession, and Advancing Information
Security Strategies in Higher Education.

http://www.educause.edu/library/resources/higher-education-information-security-council-2014-strategic-priorities

This month we would like to highlight the efforts that are contributing to the first priority: Strengthening
Foundations.

1)    Strengthening communications and marketing of existing resources, especially to CIOs.

For example, we are highlighting new resources and activities in monthly and quarterly EDUCAUSE newsletters,
contributing guest blogs to EDUCAUSE Review Online, offering a HEISC update at EDUCAUSE 2014, continuing to coordinate
privacy and security-related EDUCAUSE Live! webinars, and creating a team to focus on promoting the Information
Security Guide: www.educause.edu/security/guide<http://www.educause.edu/security/guide>.

2)    Enhancing community engagement and interaction between CISOs and CIOs.

This will include quarterly updates to the CIO and Security discussion lists about the status of this year's priorities
and new resources, requests for input as we develop future priorities and deliverables, timely responses to CIO and
Security discussions when relevant security or privacy topics arise, and a CISO/CIO session at EDUCAUSE 2014.

3)    Strengthening collaboration and coordinating conversations and activities with partner organizations.

In addition to the involvement of organizational representatives on the HEISC Leadership Team, we are continuing to
co-locate the Security Professionals Conference with the REN-ISAC Member Meeting, partnering with the National Cyber
Security Alliance to promote Data Privacy Day in January and National Cyber Security Awareness Month in October, and
cross-promoting events and activities co-sponsored by EDUCAUSE, Internet2, InCommon, and the REN-ISAC.

Please let us know if there are other activities that you would like to see the Security Council address as we to
continue to strengthen our foundations within the higher education community. As always, we welcome your input and
requests for additional security resources as new challenges arise on our campuses.

Thank you,

Peter Murray and Elias Eldayrie

HEISC Co-Chairs

Peter J. Murray, Ph.D.
CIO and Vice President
University of Maryland, Baltimore
620 West Lexington Street
Baltimore, Maryland  21201-1508
410-706-2461 (office)
443-310-7810 (cell)
pmurray () umaryland edu<mailto:pmurray () umaryland edu>
www.umaryland.edu/cits<http://www.umaryland.edu/cits>