Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Firewall Upgrade

From: "O'Callaghan, Daniel" <Daniel.OCallaghan () SINCLAIR EDU>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2014 16:11:58 +0000

IMO, the malware blocking is very effective.
We piloted Palo Alto for a full year in 2008, added in-line with Checkpoints in 2009, added another PA and removed
Checkpoints in 2010.  Very few compromised IT-managed endpoints.  When we do see a compromise, most times it is
phishing response.
We do see compromised student devices (with 20,000+ commuter students it's expected), but detected traffic is blocked
by the PA, at least while they are on our network.
We are only using the basic Wildfire service, so far it is promising.

Dan O'Callaghan
CISO, Sinclair Community College
937.512.2452