Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Cisco FWSM and Random Sequencing

From: Josh Flaherty <Josh.Flaherty () INDSTATE EDU>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2013 09:16:13 -0400

Greetings,

We have been having an ongoing issue with the transfer of files large files across firewall contexts (Cisco FWSM).  We
have identified the problem as the initial sequence number randomization feature of the FWSM being enabled.  The
feature is causing a miss-alignment TCP sequence numbers that causes some software firewalls to block traffic and stall
the transfers.

The sequence number randomization is a legacy security feature that is enabled by default.  Most operating systems
since around 2000 already do ISN randomization so we are discussing disabling the feature on all of our FWSM firewall
contexts.

Has anyone else encountered this issue with a FWSM or any other firewalls?  If so was the solution to disable the
sequence number randomization?

Thanks
Josh Flaherty
Information Technology Security Officer