Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Chromecast devices?

From: "Jones, Joshua" <joshua.jones () UND EDU>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2013 13:46:25 +0000

Chromecast a cheap device that plugs into your TV and allow you to stream content from your computer or mobile device
to your TV.  We have students who have purchased these devices.

My concern is that as soon as you plug a Chromecast device into your TV, anyone who has the Chromecast software (free
download) can play content on your TV (even harassing content or porn).  There is no security unlike AppleTV that could
require a Passcode or Password, when you download Chromecast software it shows you a list of Chromecast devices that
are on the network and you select the one you want, no confirmation is needed on the TV.

Has anyone else ran into these issues in Residence Halls or other buildings on Campus?  How do you handle devices like
these on your network?

Cordially,

Josh
Joshua Jones
Associate Director
Center for Instructional Learning Technologies

University of North Dakota
370 Oxford St, Stop 7098
Grand Forks, ND 58202-7098

Robertson/Sayre Hall, Room 201