Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Google "Unusual traffic from your computer network" notification

From: Jon Robinson <jon () DIGITALSCEPTER COM>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2013 08:54:22 -0800

We had a customer with this problem. They started with the assumption that
it was malware on the user network. After several days of hunting, they
abandoned that idea and tapped a different segment with Palo Alto (could
probably user your Sonicwall and Snort instead...or wireshark) and found
the offending google requests from a misconfigured reverse-proxy that was
allowing the world to use it. HTH.

Jon Robinson
Digital Scepter
desk (951) 461-7868