Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: inital passwords for students

From: "McLaughlin, Bryan S." <bmclaughlin () CREIGHTON EDU>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2013 18:37:01 +0000

At Creighton University we have a home grown application that creates a one-time password (OTP) for all new AD
accounts.  Students receive their OTP from the admissions process, faculty and staff receive their OTP from their
hiring manager.  All individuals use their OTP and date of birth to setup a security profile (security questions and
answers along with an alternate email or text capable number) and then they set their AD password.  AD password live
for 180 days.  The security profile then ties to a password self-service tool that allow users to reset forgotten
password through security questions and a verification code that is sent to the alternative email or text device.  We
never subsequently change a users password if they cannot use the self-service portal (forgot the answers to their
security questions, etc.), we instead provide a new OTP (following verification of identity) so a new security profile
can be created.

We have found the process to work well and password calls to the service desk have declined.

Bryan McLaughlin
Information Security Officer
Creighton University
bmclaughlin () creighton edu<mailto:bmclaughlin () creighton edu>
402-280-2386