Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Fake Xerox Message | 07-17-2013

From: Bob Bayn <bob.bayn () USU EDU>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 15:10:00 +0000

Yup, we got about a hundred (all blocked) mixed in with seven real scans from Xerox machines.  Fortunately, most of our
real Xerox scanners have been locally customized to include the sending office name, a real sender address, a real
machine location (included in the body) and a customized message body that includes contact information for the office
that owns the scanner.  So, our recipients tend to be a little more skeptical of the default message format.

Bob Bayn    SER 301    (435)797-2396       IT Security Team
Office of Information Technology,     Utah State University
     three common hazardous email scams to watch out for:
     1) unfamiliar transaction report from familiar business
     2) attachment with no explanation in message body
     3) "phishing" for your email password