Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Secure Web Gateway

From: Ben Parker <BParker () CHICORPORATION COM>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 11:51:27 -0400

As an addendum to Ron's analysis.

It can do SSL or SSH decryption, they are not additional expenses themselves but you basically have to buy URL
filtering to take full advantage of them so you can not decrypt ms-updates, shopping and bank sites.

Wildfire is starting to be their go to enhancement for IPS/IDS. The way it works is by sending a hash of any Portable
Executable (PE) file to the cloud and check it against virus total to see if it has been identified. If so return value
if not, upload the file and execute it in an XP sandbox looking for malware characteristics. If it sees them it submits
the new file to virus total and adds the changes to the wildfire signature feed, and any PAN-DB url filtering malware
categories as needed.

The basic form of wildfire is free. It gives you 24 hour signatures, and automatic file uploads to the sandbox as well
as access to wildfire.paloaltonetworks.com URL to look at your submissions for viruses/malware.

The paid version gives 15-30 minute wildfire signature updates and feeds the results back into a log file in the PA so
you can create automated reports and notifications if malware is seen as soon as a user downloads it.

I believe Checkpoint now also has a feature similar to wildfire for their UTM device.

The other solution that I had heard many schools were using last year from the educause security conference was DNS
blackhole sites like OpenDNS.

Thanks,
Ben Parker
System Engineer - Palo Alto Networks CNSE
Chi Corporation
(former Network Engineer - Mount Union)