Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Passphrases v Password

From: Steven Alexander <alexander.s () MCCD EDU>
Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2013 00:13:57 +0000

My guess is that they chose 16 because a 16 character minimum would force users to pick at least four words that are
four letters or longer.

It's no longer necessary to pick 15+ character passwords in order to prevent LANMAN password storage, but 14-16
characters is still a good minimum length if you want strong passwords on Windows.  It's not very user-friendly, but
anything less is probably crackable because the hashing algorithm (MD4) used on Windows is so laughably ill-chosen.

-Steven Alexander