Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: IdentityFinder - Data Discovery Software

From: Ben Woelk <fbwis () RIT EDU>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2013 13:54:51 +0000

At the Rochester Institute of Technology, we are completing our third year of enterprise use of Identity Finder
software for ~3400 faculty and staff. It's not a short-term effort.

To increase our likelihood of success, we made sure we built robust processes for remediation as part of our deployment.
•       We have managed remediation by working through "business reps" in our organizational units and with technical
reps/centralized IT to ensure that the agent is installed where it needs to be.
•       Most users get monthly scans of their endpoints that we initiate.
•       We furnish monthly reports to the business reps and they work with end users to ensure that they remediate the
private information found.
•       We provide additional deskside support, leveraging our co-op students, focused on those with a large amount of
unprotected matches for those individuals who request assistance (or whose business rep requests assistance).
•       We use the exception process we established for our security standards several years ago and track exceptions
in Footprints.
•       When advantageous, we've excluded certain file types, etc. to reduce the rate of false positives.

We are currently in a gap closure mode to ensure that the agent is installed where it should be. We have used Identity
Finder to make significant progress in reducing the amount of unprotected PI.

At the 2011 Security Professionals Conference, I presented as part of a panel on remediating Private Information. Those
resources are at
http://www.educause.edu/events/security-professionals-conference/2011/way-too-much-private-information-how-were-fixing-problem-our-place

Our user resources can be found at www.rit.edu/security<http://www.rit.edu/security>. Choose the PIMI dropdown menu to
access the resources. If you need more info on our process or technical best practices, please let me know.

Ben Woelk '07
Private Information Management Initiative Project Manager
Policy and Awareness Analyst
Information Security Office
Rochester Institute of Technology
ROS 10-A204
151 Lomb Memorial Drive
Rochester, New York 14623
585.475.4122
585.475.7920 fax
ben.woelk () rit edu<mailto:ben.woelk () rit edu>
http://security.rit.edu/dsd.html

Become a fan of RIT Information Security at
http://rit.facebook.com/RITInfosec<http://rit.facebook.com/profile.php?id=6017464645>

Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/RIT_InfoSec

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE:  The information transmitted, including attachments, is intended only for the person(s) or entity
to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material.  Any review, retransmission,
dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other
than the intended recipient is prohibited.  If you received this in error, please contact the sender and destroy any
copies of this information.