Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

China conference scam

From: "Di Fabio, Andrea" <adifabio () NSU EDU>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2013 09:03:45 -0400

I apologize for cross posting, but in the interest of information sharing
and to ensure the safety of those who may be affected, we though it prudent
to send this.

We received a call from our one of our professors earlier today.  She
detailed how she received an email inviting her to speak at a conference in
China.  She checked the site that accompanied the message and found that she
knew several of the speakers listed.  The site looks like any other
conference web site.  It is detailed and organized with care.  The email was
well written, both professionally and grammatically.

She went ahead and approached her department and received approval to be
sponsored for the trip. She contacted "emma at wcmfcon . com" and was
scheduled for a session.  During the process of getting everything setup and
corresponding with "Emma" in China, she emailed some of those she knew that
where scheduled to speak.  She found that they were not scheduled nor had
any idea of the conference.  She decided to notify us to let us know and
obviously declined to the speaking engagement.

See attached document for more details on this scam.