Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Pointless email spam

From: Dennis Bohn <bohn () ADELPHI EDU>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 11:46:50 -0400

We have been seeing these sort-of literary ones, like your sample #2.  No
idea what purpose.
best,
Dennis Bohn
Manager of Network and Systems
Adelphi University
bohn () adelphi edu
5168773327

On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 7:34 AM, Gary Warner <gar () cis uab edu> wrote:

Are other schools seeing a big uptick in "no purpose" spam messages?
 Wondering if this is an enormous email address list cleanse/harvest? or
what other motives anyone might theorize on this?

Here are three sample email bodies.  No attachment, no links.  Can't PROVE
they are related, just coincidence of timing and pointlessness.

++++++++++++++++++++
(received from myschoolemail.net 173.246.104.97)
(from: hilda.barrett () myschoolemail net)

Denise,

I wanted to know if you understand that you can't come to the super deli
next Friday.

Cheers,

H.

++++++++++++++++++++
(envelope from waggishy08 () acm org)
(x-sender: ultrasug9 () gil com au)
(X-PHP-Script indicates it was sent via "afes.com/sendmail.php" at
request of 186.87.28.58)

CHAPTER XLI, Nor from ME, neither.
Why HE? I stopped.

+++++++++++++++++++++
(received from heattreatmentchina.ru (37.255.60.4)
(from: stonehengeqq40 () trinity edu)

Bofe un you claims it, But we didnt wait.
So Tom was satisfied.

Gary Warner
Director of Research in Computer Forensics
The University of Alabama at Birmingham
Center for Information Assurance and Joint Forensics Research
205.422.2113
gar () cis uab edu