Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Password length and complexity

From: Steven Alexander <alexander.s () MCCD EDU>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 20:00:10 +0000

I've written a lot about passwords (including length, complexity, hashes and expiration) on my blog.  While blog posts
don't count as "scholarly", mine do link to a number of academic papers and other resources.  I also work out a lot of
the math.

http://bugcharmer.blogspot.com/search/label/Passwords

In particular:

How long should passwords be?
http://bugcharmer.blogspot.com/2012/06/how-long-should-passwords-be.html

For current research on measuring password entropy, check out Matt Weir's research:

http://reusablesec.blogspot.com/2010/10/new-paper-on-password-security-metrics.html
http://reusablesec.blogspot.com/2010/10/ccs-paper-part-2-password-entropy.html

These two blog posts comment on and explain Weir's paper which he presented at the 2010 ACM CCS conference.

Regards,

Steven Alexander Jr.
Online Education Systems Manager
Merced College
3600 M Street
Merced, CA 95348-2898
(209) 384-6191
alexander.s () mccd edu<mailto:alexander.s () mccd edu>