Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

EDUCAUSE Breach discussed in online hacking zine

From: Matthew Milliron <mmilliron () EDUCAUSE EDU>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2013 17:29:37 +0000

Hello all,

It came to our attention yesterday that an online hacking zine posted an article about both the MIT hacking event and
the EDUCAUSE  breach that occurred earlier this year. The information was then shared via Twitter. As we disclosed in
our February announcement,  the hackers did access EDUCAUSE data in the earlier incident. This recently discovered
article includes a dump of EDUCAUSE data. The data set includes information about the .edu domains, such as pre-breach
account passwords. Those passwords were deactivated at the time of the breach. The domain contact information has
always been publicly available via the .edu Whois directory.

There has not been another breach nor is any of the data different than what we had known in February. If you have any
questions, please contact me at mmilliron () educause edu<mailto:mmilliron () educause edu>.

Best,

Matthew

Matthew Milliron, Ed.D.
Chief Information Officer

EDUCAUSE<http://www.educause.edu/>
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good
282 Century Place, Suite 5000, Louisville, CO 80027
direct: 303.939.0305 | main: 303.449.4430 | fax: 303.440.0461 | educause.edu<http://www.educause.edu/>