Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Vetting New Devices

From: "Frazier, William S [ITSYS]" <frazier () IASTATE EDU>
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2013 19:06:55 +0000

We have for several years required newly connecting student Pcs to be
checked using a locally developed program.  The product had the drawback
that it was Windows specific.  On the other hand, most by far of the
incoming devices were Windows.  Now, the other device types are increasing.
Also, AV products are flagging our test program and some of the vendors will
not even consider whitelisting it.

We're faced with redeveloping, discontinuing, or purchasing.There is the
issue of diminishing returns.  Microsoft has gotten much better about
discouraging the sorts of user behavior we tended to catch (open file
shares, null passwords, Š).

Are you doing any kind of vetting against newly connected non-guest devices?
If so what tools are you using?  Also, if you are vetting, are there
particular steps to accommodate the great check-in crunch at the start of
major terms?

Thanks for any insights,
Bill
William Frazier                         frazier () iastate edu
     voice: (515) 294-8620
Iowa State University              fax:   (515) 294-1717
Information Technology Services, 251 Durham, Ames, Iowa 50011-2251