Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft antivirus

From: David Opitz <dopitz () LOYOLA EDU>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 16:54:14 +0000

We use Symantec Endpoint Protection.  About a year ago we were re-evaluating that decision.  As part of that, I got a
chance to talk to the Microsoft Product Manager for Forefront Endpoint Protection.  He wanted to know what it is that I
like about Symantec, so I listed off all the features I like, mostly from a security viewpoint but also management and
reporting.  Quick examples are SONAR, which Symantec uses for behavior detection to find malware (they also do
traditional malware signatures), INSIGHT which looks up every downloaded file in a huge Symantec database and can block
it if it has never seen it before, a network threat detection piece, and some efficiencies for working with VMWare
servers.  After I explained each one of those features, the Microsoft guy would agree that his product did not yet have
that, but he frequently added that those are things he hopes/plans to build into future versions of FEP.

Based on the extra security we would get from those features, we decided to continue paying Symantec instead of using
the FEP which would essentially be free for us.  Depending on your environment, you might come up with a different
decision.  I'm giving Microsoft a couple of years to add those new features and then we will do another evaluation.
I'd guess Microsoft will have some cool new features by then, and hopefully this competition from Microsoft will
continue to push the traditional anti-virus vendors to keep innovating and improving their products as well.

Peace,
Dave Opitz
Loyola University Maryland