Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: EDUCAUSE Statement on Server Breach

From: Jason Murray <jemurray () ZWECK NET>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2013 13:58:39 -0600

As many other people have said, using a 3rd party to send out security
notices is a very bad idea.

Please use your official domain for all links in the future.

Jason E. Murray
Sr. Systems Engineer
Washington University in St. Louis
Phone: 314-935-4865
Email: jemurray () wustl edu
Web: http://nss.wustl.edu/~jemurray/

On 2/19/13 1:16 PM, Valerie Vogel wrote:
Please review the statement below; contact information for inquiries is
provided at the conclusion.

February 19, 2013 –/Garth Jordan, Vice President, Operations, of
EDUCAUSE,/ /issued the following statement with regard to a recent
breach of EDUCAUSE servers by an unauthorized third party./

“On February 5^th , EDUCAUSE discovered that the server that maintains
the .edu domain information and our member profile information was
breached. The breach may have compromised .edu domain passwords and
information contained in individual EDUCAUSE website profiles, including
names, titles, e-mail addresses, usernames, and passwords. Based on our
investigation to date, we do not believe the breach included access to
credit card data, financial accounts, or other sensitive information.
“EDUCAUSE took immediate steps to contain this breach and we are working
with Federal law enforcement, investigators, and security experts to
make sure this incident is properly addressed. Additional security
measures have been implemented to help prevent any future occurrences.
“As a precaution, we are proceeding as though all individual EDUCAUSE
website profiles and all .edu domain holders might have been impacted.
We have notified via email all .edu domain holders and all individuals
with website profiles about the breach and requested that they change
their passwords. All that is required from those impacted by this breach
is a password re-set.
“The threat of a breach is a constant business concern; no organization
is immune from these illegal and harmful activities. Therefore, our
priority remains ensuring the security and privacy of our members,
domain holders, and everyone who relies on our services.”

  * For help with*EDUCAUSE website profile password changes*, please
    contact EDUCAUSE Member Services at _info@educause.edu_
    <mailto:info () educause edu> or +1-303-449-4430.
  * For help with *.edu domain password changes*, please contact
    EDUCAUSE Member Services at _edu@educause.edu_
    <mailto:edu () educause edu> or +1-303-449-4805.
  * For *media inquiries*, please contact Pete Boyle, Senior Vice
    President for Lipman Hearne, at _pboyle@lipmanhearne.com_
    <mailto:pboyle () lipmanhearne com> or +1-202-536-8088.

Thank you,
Valerie

*Valerie Vogel*Program Manager

*EDUCAUSE* <http://www.educause.edu/>