Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: IPS Solution

From: Roger A Safian <r-safian () NORTHWESTERN EDU>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2013 15:45:06 +0000

I find it interesting you put it that way.  We were pleasantly surprised by how the
PA worked right out of the box during the demo.
I like the way it classifies traffic and doesn't focus on a port.

For me, I think this is the critical point about IPS.  A next generation, application aware, system, such as Palo Alto,
is a giant leap forward when compared to systems that rely strictly on port information.  When we did our testing (Fall
2012) the Palo Alto was the clear winner.  We saw traffic, and we're able to act to stop that traffic, all within the
first few minutes.  Their competitors did not equal those results.