Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Full Disk Encryption vs "encrypting just the data disk"....??

From: "Eric C. Lukens" <eric.lukens () UNI EDU>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 13:48:21 -0600

At least on Windows 7 and above, you could do that with
Bitlocker--though it might not be as user friendly as other options but
2012 does make it better. You need to configure Group Policy to force
the recovery keys to be sent to the domain, then your DAs (or others you
delegate) can view the recovery keys. When doing so, you can set the
different kinds of recovery keys for Bitlocker to be sent up--removable
drives, fixed drives, or boot drives. Then you need to review all the GP
settings for Bitlocker to make sure the passwords requirements meet your
needs along with other settings.

Using non-boot drives with Bitlocker adds no boot overhead and doesn't
require extra care when upgrading the BIOS or making BIOS changes. That
said, AES 128, the default in Bitlocker, is not much overhead--even on
older machines. For newer machines with AES instructions built into the
proc, the overhead is virtually non-existent (though the paranoid on Win
8/2012 can force software encryption).

However, Windows will let the user set an option to automatically unlock
Bitlocker drives under some circumstances, so you need to manually force
a registry key to be unwritable or cleared.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\FveAutoUnlock Alternatively,
you can force Bitlocker to not allow the creation of 256-bit recovery
keys, which is what Bitlocker uses to auto-unlock drives (assuming
you're find just using the shorter, manually-entered keys).

To force the encryption on users, that'll take some scripting kung fu,
it can be done, but it isn't pretty.

If you want help/more details, let me know.

-Eric