Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: PCI DSS University-Wide Compliance

From: Dan Sarazen <dsarazen () BRANDEIS EDU>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 13:30:44 -0500

Hi Carlos,

I’ve completed a few reviews of PCI DSS compliance and I try to follow this
process:

1.       Have they completed their Self Assessment Questionnaire (and there
are multiple types, based on the processing environment) ? They must do so
annually, and if they haven’t they can’t KNOW they are compliant.

2.       If they have completed their SAQ, who completed it? Do they have
visibility into ALL areas conducting PCI processing (Alumni, athletics,
events, etc.)?

3.       If they have completed their SAQ and identified areas where
mitigating controls are required, who is following-up on those changes to
ensure they happen?

4.       Does the campus have a process for reviewing existing PCI
processing and approving new services or changes to existing processes?

5.       Are these procedures publicized and employees trained on their
practices?

6.       Do you have a campus-wide Information Security Policy? This is a
PCI DSS requirement, regardless of the processing environment.

7.       Does the campus (Or each decentralized area) have written PCI
procedures for both electronic copies and hardcopies?

8.       If you’ve identified your PCI DSS environments and segmented them
you are allowed to submit a separate SAQ for each environment.

PCI DSS is a compliance quagmire. Most schools try to keep PCI DSS
processing off their campus networks because, by having the activity on the
campus network, the entire campus network comes into scope for PCI DSS.

Two Resources:

https://www.pcisecuritystandards.org/security_standards/

and

http://pciguru.wordpress.com/

Good Luck and feel free to call my cell if you have specific questions.

Dan Sarazen

Senior IT Auditor

The Boston Consortium for Higher Education

Brandeis University, Mailstop 110

Phone: 781-736-8703

Cell:     781-296-4444

Fax:     781-736-8706