Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

EDUCASE Cybersecurity Survey from IU CACR Fellow

From: "Shackelford, Scott James" <sjshacke () INDIANA EDU>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2012 12:12:57 -0400

Dear EDUCASE Security Colleagues,

My name is Scott Shackelford, and I am an Assistant Professor of Business Law and Ethics at the Indiana University, Kelley School of Business as well as being a fellow at the Center for Applied Cybersecurity Research (CACR).

I would like to invite you to participate in a survey measuring cyber risk assessment. This study will be used as part of a white paper on comparative cyber risk mitigation strategies that will eventually be published in the Stanford Journal of International Law. These results will also help inform an upcoming conference at Indiana University co-sponsored by the CACR and the Kelley School of Business on cyber risk assessment in the private sector.

Survey Link: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/ZSW6JF2.

What is this research about?

This research was born from my manuscript, Managing Cyber Attacks in International Law, Business, and Relations: In Search of Cyber Peace, that is being published in 2013 by Cambridge University Press. In that study, I became interested in how different nations around the world are working to enhance cybersecurity, specifically which cyber risk mitigation strategies are being preferred and whether it is possible to learn any lessons from nations that have favored a more voluntary or regulatory approach. This research builds from that foundation while looking more specifically at the growth and utility of cyber risk insurance.

What are you being asked to do?

Fill out a brief 10 question survey about your organization's cyber risk assessment practices. The anonymity of your responses is guaranteed, and if you do not no the answer to a question or or unable to answer there is no problem with skipping it.

What are the benefits of participating?

You will have access to the insights we draw from the data collection session in the hope that they will be useful to you in your everyday work. Moreover, you will help build cybersecurity data that is sorely lacking and will be of use to scholarship and ultimately policymakers.

How much time is required?

No more than 10 minutes.

What's your background in cybersecurity?

Professor Shackelford serves on the faculty of Indiana University where he teaches cybersecurity, business law, and sustainability among other courses, as well as being a fellow at the Center for Applied Cybersecurity Research. He has written more than 30 articles, essays, and book chapters that have been published in such publications as the Yale Law and Policy Review, New York University Environmental Law Journal, American Business Law Journal, Stanford Journal of International Law, Stanford Environmental Law Journal, Berkeley Journal of International Law, Stanford Law Review Online, Journal of Internet Law, and the Georgetown Journal of International Law. Professor Shackelford has also written op-eds on the topic of cybersecurity that have been published in the Huffington Post, San Francisco Chronicle, Jurist, and the Washington Times, while his research has been covered by National Public Radio, Forbes, C-SPAN, and USA Today.

Faculty webpage: http://kelley.iu.edu/facultyglobal/directory/FacultyProfile.cfm?id=19196.

Questions?

Please feel free to get in touch with any questions or concerns. I can be reached at sjshacke () indiana edu, or 812-856-6728. Thank you!

--
Scott J. Shackelford
Assistant Professor of Business Law and Ethics
Indiana University, Kelley School of Business

Office: BU254C
Phone: (812) 856-6728
Fax: (812) 856-4695
Mailing Address: 1309 E. Tenth St. Bloomington, IN 47405