Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: The Wisdom of Allowing an Open Port

From: Roger A Safian <r-safian () NORTHWESTERN EDU>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 14:26:01 +0000

I'm not disagreeing with either of you, but, I did want to point out that here we do have people using older devices
who are unable to use our NetID authenticated wireless SSID because they have a device that does not support that level
of service.  They are able to use our guest service though.  Skinny is there may be legitimate users on the guest
service, for "legitimate" reasons.

At my current Uni I follow Julian's train of thought.

Julian Y Koh wrote:
Is there an authenticated SSID that those staff members should be
using instead?  If so, why are they using the open SSID?

Which means I do block access to all authenticated services (Blackboard,
Banner, Mail, etc) on open/guest/conference SSIDs. If they have a password to
use those authenticated services, then they should be using that same password
to connect to the staff/student SSID.

I would say 'no we don't permit that access' and then kindly direct them to the
helpdesk to configure their wireless devices.