Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Google Docs abuse

From: Dan Han <s2dhan () VCU EDU>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 15:50:35 -0400

I am sure many of you have experienced the phishing scams hosted on Google
spreadsheets. While we report these scams to Google through the Report
Abuse link, it seems that the time it takes for Google to remove the
phishing site varies significantly. While some links are taken down almost
immediately, others stay active for days, if not weeks after multiple
reports through the abuse link.

Also, this maybe coincidence, but I have realized that some of the phishing
links hosted on EDU's Google Apps often takes longer for Google to resolve
than others. Has anyone noticed the same pattern, and does anyone have any
tips on how to escalate these cases when Google fails to respond to the
abuse report? Thank you.

Dan Han
Information Security Officer
Virginia Commonwealth University