Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Enterprise DLP Solutions

From: Philip Webster <p.webster () QUT EDU AU>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2012 10:30:23 +1000

On 21/09/2012 6:39 AM, Barnes, Sylvia A wrote:
We are looking at Data Loss Prevention solutions and I would like to
know about your experience with purchase, deployment and
use/satisfaction with your product.  We currently use a data detection
tool Identity Finder but we are not using the encryption or scrubbing
modules.  We want to know what else others are using and finding
successes with.  Does your product meet your expectations for improving
data loss prevention without generating more Help Desk calls than you
can manage?

1)  What DLP product did you install and what other one did you compare
it to?

2)  Did you install the complete DLP or just the data detection? Are you
planning to install other modules if so which ones?

3)  Was the vendor training adequate for your employees and how many
FTE’s does it take to manage?

4)  What are some of your lessons learned from the purchase, and or
implementation?

5)  What do you know now that you wish you had known before you started
choose your DLP solution?

I don't want to hijack the conversation, but was wondering how people are handling the interaction of DLP and cloud. I've seen solutions at the client, solutions at the point of migration to the cloud, and solutions which inspect traffic to/from the cloud (usually involving SSL MitM); however I'm yet to hear of happy installations.

Has anyone gone down this route, or abandoned DLP completely, or chosen some other path (e.g. outsourcing the risk to the cloud provider as well)?

Thanks
Phil
--
Philip Webster, Information Security Manager
Queensland University of Technology