Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Java 7 Security Manager Bypass Vulnerability - Java 1.7.07 just released

From: "Schoenefeld, Keith P." <Keith_Schoenefeld () BAYLOR EDU>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 17:06:34 +0000

Quinn,

I suspect you know this, but just in case anyone reads over the notes and assumes this vulnerability is in 1.6 as well:

I would recommend everyone read the release notes and security advisories and evaluate the vulnerability's risk within
your environment before burning capital to get software deployed immediately.  It'd be hard to argue that 1.7u7 is
anything other than a critical vulnerability for systems that may run untrusted java applications or applets, and for
those systems the patch should be pushed through whatever fast-path deployment process is in place at your institution.
 The 1.6u35 patch requires more evaluation in my opinion.

-- KS

Keith Schoenefeld
Information Security Analyst
Baylor University