Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Password keepers

From: Josh Drummond <jdrummon () UCI EDU>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 12:46:45 -0700

For personal / single user use I recommend to people the free LastPass (http://www.lastpass.com) solution. The best balance of strong security and convenient usability I've seen. For shared / multi-user use in enterprise I recommend the free open-source WebPasswordSafe (http://www.webpasswordsafe.net) solution [full disclosure: as the author I'm a bit biased]. It is a cross-platform Java web application server you can customize the strong security controls and deploy to fit your environment.

Either way, to fully answer your question, encrypted digital offsite backups with the key separate from the data out-of-band is the way to go. But if immediate availability in disaster is a huge risk for you where a digital solution can't be depended on, printing unencrypted export (both of the above solutions support that) physical copy and keeping it safe with your usual physical security controls (sealed envelope, locked, access log, cameras, etc) is what you are left with.

Thanks,
~Josh