Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Information Security Staffing Metrics Survey

From: Harry Hoffman <hhoffman () IP-SOLUTIONS NET>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 18:11:41 -0400

Hi Carlos,

It's probably a good idea to first state what responsibilities are
associated with Information Security.

They vary widely depending upon institution and therefore the number of
FTEs allocated may be a factor.

For example do the Infosec guys just do IDS? Do they handle A/V, DLP,
Identity Management, Log Aggregation, PCI, HIPAA, DMCA, etc.

We have 3 FTE plus technical management for a userbase of 25000
(staff/faculty/students).

We deal with all of the above mentioned topics and I can tell you 3
people is not nearly enough.

Cheers,
Harry