Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Do you need two Guest Wireless Networks? (Re: [SECURITY] Questions/thoughts around outsourcing guest wireless)

From: Jeffrey Schiller <jis () MIT EDU>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2012 13:09:30 -0400

I have run into two interesting use cases. The first is the obvious,
providing access to people on campus who do not normally have access
to our "regular" wireless network (which will soon require
authentication, etc. etc.).

The second one is the use case where you need guests to interact
closely with faculty and staff. For example the laptop of a visiting
researcher who is collaborating closely with a particular faculty
member (or lab). For example in the lab they may need to be on the
same subnet as the affiliated people.

Now for a long term visitor, they can presumably be granted
credentials and become effectively a part of the community. But there
is also the short term (aka a weekend) case.

Another way to look at it is that some guests just need access to the
Internet while others need access to the network at the institutions
and these are subtly different.

-Jeff