Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Wireless WPA2 MSCHAPv2

From: Joseph N Kurtin <joseph.kurtin () NORTHWESTERN EDU>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2012 11:39:53 +0000

Hi, All.

It's been stated already in this thread that if your clients are
configured to validate the public certificate of the host that terminates
your PEAP connection, you're likely in good shape*, but I wanted to add a
little description to explain why.

PEAP is designed such that if an 802.1x supplicant sees a problem and
chooses not to build the TLS tunnel, the MSCHAP exchanges will not begin
at all.

Digging a little deeper, The PEAP tunnel is a TLS tunnel between a client
and RADIUS server (or something else if you're terminating PEAP on your
wireless controller, AP, etc...) built in order to allow for a secure
exchange of credential information, MSCHAP or otherwise.

After this tunnel is built, a negotiation takes place within the tunnel
between the 802.1x supplicant and a AAA server to pick an inner
authentication protocol.  Next, the negotiated credential comparison
(MSCHAPv2 in our case) is done within the same tunnel.  This is also why
attributes sometimes need to be handed back outside the tunnel in some
environments--the wireless infrastructure can be unaware of portions of
the conversation between the supplicant and AAA server.

-Joseph

*Most deployments terminate PEAP directly on the RADIUS server, but if you
terminate PEAP on a different device, your risk is now increased if the
path between your PEAP termination and RADIUS server is not secured.