Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Kronos + Java

From: "Embry, Randall Paul" <rpembry () IU EDU>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 18:34:25 +0000

I don't know Kronos either, but I've been struggling with a much different scenario that might be similar in spirit,
that boils down to this "non defect" introduced in JVM 1.6.0_29:

In our case, this is for LDAP calls from a server side application where we wrote the code that runs in the JVM.
Unfortunately, we've been stuck as the Java folks dismissed it as a Microsoft bug. It would seem that new JVM features
and security patches are bundled into the same releases. We have the luxury of (mostly) trusting the code running in
our JVMs, dealing with this in desktop JVMs would seem completely untenable.

Presuming Kronos is not relying on a security flaw, perhaps we could also align with Kronos to lean on Oracle/Java to
provide some sort of a la carte security patching without bringing along new functionality?

Write once, run anywhere... Except the latest JVM :)

--Randall