Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Hard Disk Degaussers

From: "Shamblin, Quinn" <qrs () BU EDU>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 11:50:55 +0000

We just got one of these which is doing a very good job.   http://www.semshred.com/manual_hard_drive_crushers

Contact me off list if you want a picture of what this thing does.  They also have a powered one.

The manual one does need to be bolted to something, but it can destroy a hard drive in 5-10 seconds depending on the a
variety of factors.

Quinn R Shamblin
Executive Director of Information Security, Boston University
CISM, CISSP, GCFA, PMP  -  O 617-358-6310  M 617-999-7523