Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Malware (antivirus) software for Macintosh

From: Louis APONTE <LouisAponte () WEBER EDU>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 08:23:09 -0600

Alex

You are correct Apple knew about this we all know that a response was
slow incoming. I am not sure why Flashback was a non-event for us, since
I have a very small population on McAfee anti-malware 1.x or
(9.1.0.4478) I spot checked critical systems at the start of this, what
I found was tons of needed updates queued up. I guess what I said badly
was you need an AV solution in place (McAfee does rather well on snow
leopard and Mt lion ), but don't forget the importance of patching via
updates if you have no other central solution for Mac patching. We also
enable the Mac firewall and include that in our guidelines on securing
Macs. No I would never say you don't need a Mac AV solution, the only
box I have in my office completely free of threats is a tissue box.

Louis Aponte

Weber State University

On 5/17/2012 at 2:50 PM, in message
<848EA831-20E8-4958-A96E-8715EC4A52A0 () unc edu>, "Everett, Alex D"
<alex.everett () UNC EDU> wrote:

Louis:

Maybe I am misreading this, but Apple Updates did not offer protection
in time, though patching is of course sound advice.
A Java vulnerability was not patched until after exploitation took
place.
We did have good experience with anti-malware software if the user had
it already installed.
We had poor experience with network security mitigation technologies.