Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Penetration Testing vs the academic world

From: Leandro Quibem Magnabosco <leandroqm () GMAIL COM>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 16:31:34 -0200

Hello!

2012/1/12 Morrow Long <morrow.long () yale edu>

I recommending talk to faculty in the computer science departments at
major universities.

Sure thing. I'll do that.

But, as a practitioner, here is some fertile ground for Master’s Thesis
research papers in the area of computer and network penetration testing
(AKA ‘extreme’ vulnerability testing):****

**·         **Building automated tools for maximum or complete test
coverage.****

**·         **Proving the effectiveness of formal network penetration
testing methodologies and frameworks.****

**·         **Analysis on how attackers attempt to break into computers
(using honeypots or honeynets) in order to model their behavior using
penetration testing.****

**·         **Proving or dispelling the practice/control/myth of password
controls (quality, aging, etc.).  Our faculty users are always asking us
for peer-reviewed academic research papers showing us why they should have
to change their password (every year).  Unfortunately the best known recent
paper on this topic by Microsoft researcher Cormac Herley and Paul C. van
Oorschot (Carleton University, Ottawa, Canada) unfortunately tends to prove
the opposite (that the cost and effort of password quality and aging often
apparently aren’t worth it).  I need someone to write a paper to prove that
they are worth it – so will you go ahead and write it?   [Just kidding…..]
http://research.microsoft.com/apps/pubs/?id=154077
http://research.microsoft.com/pubs/154077/Persistence-authorcopy.pdf
(Preprint)****

**·         **I think another great research topic is on social
engineering via social networks for penetration testing.  Just for fun here
is what I was able to find out what public information was on the Internet
about you from some quick research / recon :****

**o   **Google+ page : https://plus.google.com/104286409358585115635/about
****

**§  **There are 249 people’s photos and names listed in your Google+
‘circles’.  You may want to tighten this down.****

**§  **There are another 244 people’s photos and names in which you are
listed in their Google+ ‘circles’.****

**o   **Google Buzz:
https://profiles.google.com/104286409358585115635/buzz  - mostly links to
a number of YouTube and other videos****

**o   **Picasa web album:
https://plus.google.com/photos/104286409358585115635/albums?banner=pwa
- almost no photos****

**o   **YouTube Channel:           http://www.youtube.com/user/leandroqm**
**

**§  **You’ve uploaded 39 videos (they appear to be videos of your
family) and listed 261 videos as your favorite.****

**o   **Facebook:           http://www.facebook.com/leandroqm****

**§  **You were born on June 27, 1982. Come from
Joaçaba<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Joa%C3%A7aba/111452215538605>in Brazil.  Live currently in Florianópolis,
Santa Catarina<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Florian%C3%B3polis-Santa-Catarina/106339232734991>,
Brazil. You went to high school at the Colégio Coração de
Jesus<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Col%C3%A9gio-Cora%C3%A7%C3%A3o-de-Jesus/102128923162345>.
You like bicycling.****

**§  **In music you like : Disturbed, Mudvayne, Phanatic, David Guetta
and deadmau5.****

**§  **In movies you like anime and sci fi.  There is a list of movies
and books (including some info security books).****

**§  **You know Brazilian (Portuguese), Spanish, Japanese, English.****

**§  **You appear to be identifying yourself as an atheist (but you are
fairly young yet and that could change).****

**o   **Twitter:                http://twitter.com/leandroqm****

**§  **You want to graduate with a Ph.D. and become a full-time pen
tester and web apps security researcher.****

**§  **You were asking about persistent threats as a research topic for a
paper back in November.****

**o   **About.me:          http://about.me/leandroqm****

**o   **Foursquare:       https://foursquare.com/leandroqm****

**§  **You ate at an Outback Steakhouse in Curitiba, PR and had an
excellent house salad and thought the waitress Angel was an angel.****

**o   **LinkedIn:
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/leandro-magnabosco/15/54b/90a  (244
connections)****

**§  **You are a Master’s student in Computer Science at Universidade
Federal de Santa Catarina (ufsc.br) which you entered in 2011 and from
which you hope to graduate in 2014****

**§  **Previously you attended :****

**·         **Senai - Centro de Tecnologia em Automação e Informática****

**·         **Universidade do Sul de Santa Catarina  (undergraduate?)****

**§  **You’ve worked as a consultant in the past for TIForte (2010/6 –
2011/10) and FCDL/SC (2009/6 – 2010/3).****

Morrow****

** **

The first ones are more the style I'm looking for, so thank you.
I liked all your suggestions, thought some of them fits better in the
industry world.

Still taking more suggestions, if anyone have it! :)

Thanks!