Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Not exactly phishing, but...

From: Robert Meyers <remeyers () MAIL WVU EDU>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 11:49:49 -0500

I always advise folks to use caller ID as their built-in phone SPAM
filter.  If you do not recognize the number, or if it is marked
"private," toll free, etc., let it go to voice mail. 9 calls in 10 like
this are cold sales calls and rarely leave a message.  If it is an
important call from an unrecognized number, they'll leave voice mail and
it can be returned ASAP.
If your phones don't have caller ID function, then you are challenged
to listen to the spiel and hang up with a polite "no thank you" as soon
as the call goes bad.   Unsolicited phone calls from sales groups or
phone phishing/social engineers deserve no human courtesy IMHO.

Bob

On Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 11:01 AM, Geoffrey Steven Nathan