Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Where do you stand? --- University policy on Jail broken mobile device access to secure networks.

From: Eme Ejike <eejike () ODU EDU>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 11:05:07 -0400

This is certainly interesting. I believe we all have some wonderful opinions.......

BYOD is here with all the intricacies involved in generating an apt SLA model for such devices on campus. As part of the MDM service push for these devices, policies, standards and guidelines need to be defined to build a solid foundation on our foray into this arena. What do our members believe an official stance on jail-broken devices should be? Bearing in mind that our objectives are to provide security conscious access when on campus (i.e connected to an elevated access SSID with a purview into secure segments of the network --Network shares, ERP applications.. etc).

A reference on some industry SME view would help in supporting your response.

Sincerely,

Eme Ejike
OCCS, ITSO Supervisor
Old Dominion University