Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Apple wifi implementation flaw

From: Brian Helman <bhelman () SALEMSTATE EDU>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 14:20:55 +0000

I'm not one to resend articles, but I'm going to make an exception here.  I was listening to yesterday's episode of
Security Now and Steve Gibson mentioned this article.  A lot of times, these things are serious, but not really
something I'd worry about in the short-term.  This one has some serious potential though.  I just thought I'd pass it
along to this (and the wireless) list:

"An Ars[technical] story from earlier this month reported that iPhones expose the unique identifiers of recently
accessed wireless routers, which generated no shortage of reader outrage. What possible justification does Apple have
for building this leakage capability into its entire line of wireless products when smartphones, laptops, and tablets
from competitors don't? And how is it that Google, Wigle.net, and others get away with publishing the MAC addresses of
millions of wireless access devices and their precise geographic location?"

Here's the link: http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2012/03/anatomy-of-an-iphone-leak.ars

Cross-posted to the wireless list as well.

-Brian