Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Windows O/S Patching Question

From: "Pratt, Benjamin E." <bepratt () STCLOUDSTATE EDU>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 18:35:12 +0000

Too many variables to give a time but ...

As many of us know, and any student who's done well in CCDC, patching is not the only way to secure a system. It's all
about reducing risk. For MS12-020 you could have disabled RDP on your systems, or used a firewall to block RDP
connections from all but your management systems.

As far as Critical goes, that depends on your environment. Just because Microsoft rates it as critical doesn't mean it
is for us and just because they don't rate it as critical doesn't mean it isn't for us. Also, all critical patches
aren't of the same level of risk.

All of that being said, I don't know that we have a defined standard but it's likely not as fast as it should be.

Ben