Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Physical HDD destruction

From: Clifford Collins <collinsc () FRANKLIN EDU>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 14:45:32 -0400

Matt,

Our contract for paper shredding includes media shredding. The bins look identical but are labelled specifically for
hard drives, magnetic tape cartridges and CDs/DVDs. The vendor has a truck that visits the campus periodically, empties
the receptacles and shreds the media on site. One of our facilities folks accompanies the vendor's representative to
each receptacle and then witnesses the destruction of both paper and media. If you wish to know more, drop me a line.

Clifford A. Collins
Information Security Officer
Franklin University
201 South Grant Avenue