Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Not so Nice Net

From: Mike Lococo <mike.lococo () NYU EDU>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 15:56:59 -0500

On 02/10/2012 03:21 PM, Jeff Moore wrote:
I think folks here understand the consequences of blocking entire
ranges. Its their job. So in the future please read the messages
thoroughly before replying. And please keep your replies
constructive. The kind of reply you sent benefits no one. This
listserve is for professionals. Please act like one.

It's worth noting that Michael Sinatra is an active and respected member of the higher-ed community (with a handsome first name if I do say so myself). Even if his tone can occasionally be terse, he has a long history of appropriate and professional behavior on list.

I think his tone was simply a result of passionate advocacy on an issue that he feels is commonly misunderstood. I happen to agree with him that many folks don't actually have a deep understanding of weird corner cases that dropping large netblocks can create, but reasonable people can weigh the cost/benefit differently. I know several teams that swear by netblock drops as a strategy to reduce their driveby incident rates by large percentages.

Maybe everyone can just relax a bit.

Cheers,
Mike Lococo