Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: web application scanning

From: David Pirolo <webmaster () WARNERPACIFIC EDU>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 14:47:20 -0800

If you have 501(c)(3) status, the Nessus ProfessionalFeed subscription
is free.

David Pirolo
Warner Pacific College

On Tue, 2012-02-07 at 17:38 -0500, Brian J Smith-Sweeney wrote:
On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 2:44 PM, Michael Sheinberg
<msheiny () seas upenn edu> wrote:
Hello,

Does anyone here have any recommendations for tools (preferably
open-source) that will scan web-servers for vulnerable application
frameworks + plug-ins?

Stuff like looking for out-of-date Drupal, Joomla, etc. Obviously I can
find some of these tools with Google on my own, just curious if anyone
has any positive experience with any in particular.

I believe both Nikto and Nessus have tests for some frameworks, and
regardless  are good to include in your web app assessment kit.

We have mostly moved away from fully automated web assessment tools -
we used to own WebInspect, but are dropping the license in favor of
more manual/raw tools like Burp (just bought a few licenses), and
WebScarab (has a good session ID analysis tool).  Burp is not open
source but is incredibly cheap and extremely useful.

If you're looking for some really soft targets to test your assessment
tools against ,or want a packaged up version of some web app security
tools, I suggest checking out the Web Security Dojo
(http://www.mavensecurity.com/web_security_dojo/). It's a solid,
self-contained practice and testing environment.

Cheers,
Brian

Brian Smith-Sweeney            Project Lead
ITS Technology Security Services, New York University
http://www.nyu.edu/its/security