Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Desktop Administrator Question

From: Rich Graves <rgraves () CARLETON EDU>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2012 10:36:38 -0600

We're yet another special case that doesn't fit your questions:

On our Windows 7 desktops, which are now the majority, nobody is a local administrator.

However, all staff/faculty set (but many forget) a personal .\admin account and password, different for every machine,
that they are instructed to use for software installation and system administration only. The .\admin account is
blocked from domain resources, so there is no incentive to use it for anything but UAC elevation prompts. Help desk
techs use a domain account whose password changes twice daily. For offline access, the built-in Administrator account
is set to a random value and submitted to a web service which stores it GPG-encrypted.

So, we get privilege separation against malware; a UAC speed-bump encouraging some consideration before software
installation; two forms of help desk access without password sharing; but no enforcement of policy against unsactioned
software.
--

Rich Graves http://claimid.com/rcgraves
Carleton.edu Sr UNIX and Security Admin