Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Password security

From: David Pirolo <webmaster () WARNERPACIFIC EDU>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 17:12:27 -0800

Kevin,
I agree with everyone else here that it would be "best practice".
However, I've seen that our industry hasn't taken to security well due
to cost concerns and fear of "the man".  Times are changing though and
we are starting to have to take it more seriously so it would be prudent
to take action against this.

Not sure if your CRM is any way tied to monetary transactions (since
it's tied to admissions and enrollment), but it's practically a
requirement if sensitive information is on, or can be associated with
(same login passwords?), that system.  If so, look at FERPA, FTC Red
Flags rules, PCI and your local laws to determine what the requirements
are.

From what I've seen, the requirement set by the governing bodies really
care more how you are mitigating risks and establishing compensating
controls for systems that can't be fully hardened for whatever reason.
It's also dependent on what your institution classifies as sensitive
material.  One could argue that you could be in for some steep fines or
at least a credibility problem if any information was stolen and used
elsewhere.  How much is that worth to your institution and are they
willing to take that risk?

David Pirolo
Warner Pacific College