Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Health centers and VPN access to patient records systems

From: "McCrone, Kevin" <kmccrone () ILSTU EDU>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 16:14:48 +0000

We do allow remote access.  To access the EHR, one must first use the campus VPN system.  Secondly, they must use the
Citrix system to gain access to the application or a remote desktop.  Even then, only select personnel are enabled for
remote access to the EHR according to their business need.

I'd love to require a specific, controlled end point to use, such as a health-center issued laptop (for business use
only) or perhaps even better, a thin client device or locked-down tablet or netbook.  The reality is that once remote
access is given, any client can connect - at least that is the current reality with our campus VPN technology.

We encourage our staff to use health computers to connect and remind them that if their home system is compromised and
used to connect, it could expose the University to a disaster.

-- Kevin McCrone, Information Technology Technical Associate
-- Illinois State University, Division of Student Affairs
-- (309) 438-1111