Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

disabling some phishing forms

From: Bob Bayn <bob.bayn () USU EDU>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 16:00:00 +0000

When a user reports a phish message with a "click here" link that goes to a google doc, it's easy to submit an abuse
notice using the link at the bottom of the doc form.  If a webserver is compromised, the phisher may install a
SourceForge phpformgenerator.  I've found in several instances that you can go to the first level directory in the link
to the form and see the phpformgenerator management screen.  And it often lets anyone who sees the page delete any of
the forms created by the formgenerator.  That at least temporarily disables the mischief while I contact the site owner
to check for the compromise.

Bob Bayn          (435)797-2396            IT Security Team
       http://it.usu.edu/security/htm/dont-be-fooled
Office of Information Technology, Utah State University